Many people do not relate anti aging and the concept of eating. However, you should keep in mind the following anti-aging rules when planning your meals.
Top 10 anti-aging rules while eating:
(1) Eat Selectively
(2) Eat smaller and more nutritious meals more frequently, and don’t eat on the run.
(3) You should choose brown or tan carbohydrates and avoid the white ones.
(4) Emphasize protein and concentrate on the vegetable sources as much as you can.
(5) Focus on eating your proteins first, followed by non-starchy vegetables and then your carbohydrates.
(6) Drink a lot of liquids between meals rather than during your meal.
(7) If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so with meals and maintain a sense of moderation.
(8) Choose seasonal fruits and vegetables with the most intense colors.
(9) Use only oils of very high quality.
(10)Try to maintain routine by eating your meals at regular times of the day in a stress-free environment.
Eating selectively. One of the more interesting anti aging suggestions is that if you’re over 50 or need to lose weight, you should be switching your plate size. You should use a 7 inch salad plate rather than the usual 10 inch dinner plate. Also, you may consider serving salad on a five inch bread-and-butter plate, and you may use the smallest size for breakfast and lunch.
You should serve yourself about half the amount of food you ordinarily put on your plate and if you’re dining out, you may order appetizers from the menu and split them with a companion. Many restaurants serve too much food for anyone over the age of about 35 years old. As you may have found, large portions of food are not necessarily a good deal although they may seem so at the time. You may end up wearing the “extra value” around your waist.
Eat smaller more nutritious meals more frequently. Another important consideration in your anti-aging efforts, is to consider that as you get older your digestive efficiency decreases. This is a good way to improve your digestion and absorption of food. While chewing your food, carefully focus on the flavor. By doing this, you will be less inclined to over eat. Also, you will be supplying your cells with protein, micronutrients and the energy that they need to function at their best. You’ll also be reducing the tendency to snack on beverages and less nutrient-dense foods. Always remember to stop and enjoy the smaller meals and try to never eat on the run.
These eating and anti aging tips will be continued on the following pages.
Some information from The Anti-Aging Solution by Vincent Giampapa M.D., Ronald Pero Ph.D., and Marcia Zimmerman C.N.
Additional Information and webpage by Paul Susic Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist